Over 900 Years and Counting

Medieval Benedictine Monastery

The castle foundations date back to 1120, when it was one of the largest Benedictine monasteries in Central Europe. The original founder of this monastery was an abbot called "William" and it is from his name that the later castle and village take the name of "Vilémov." The flagstone floor of the current Clubroom, as well as its ceiling shape, are likely survivors from the 12th century.

Fortress

In 1421, Hussites destroyed the monastery, leaving only foundations. From these ruins a fortress was later constructed in the year 1578. Over one hundred years later, the fortress was remodeled into a Renaissance castle.

Baroque Castle

In 1676, Vilémov was bought by Count Caretto de Millesimo, Marquis of Savona. The Marquis and his family enlarged the castle over 22 years, changing the style from Renaissance to Baroque. The Italian architect Francesco Caratti is known to have designed the building’s Baroque facade, with many architectural details added by artisans brought in from Italy.

The Second World War

In 1852, when the male line of the Caretto de Millesimo family died out, the castle and property passed on to the nearest blood relative, Francis Vaclav Baron Reisky de Dubnic. The Barons Reisky have owned the castle ever since, but during the Second World War Nazi occupiers took over the estate and expelled the family.

In 1945, Russian Army troops under General Malinowski were quartered in the castle. One of the roof finials over the terrace still has bullet holes from their target practice. Later that same year, the property was returned to the Reisky family.

In 1948, the castle was confiscated by a Communist regime and put to a variety of uses, including an elementary school. All works of art, furniture, and various other family keepsakes were removed or stolen during this period. In 1991, after the Velvet Revolution, when the castle was once again returned to the Reisky family, the buildings were empty and in total disrepair. The main hallway has photographs documenting decades of destruction along with the family’s restoration in phases up to the present.

Private Restitution

Vilémov Castle was energetically restored during 1992-1997 by Professor Vladimir Reisky de Dubnic, who returned from twenty-five years of teaching at the University of Virginia to reclaim his family’s heritage. With all its lodging and recreational facilities, the castle and its adjacent park now serve as an ideal location for conferences, seminars, and social events such as concerts, weddings, reunions, and celebrations.

Today

Vilémov Castle is one of the finest Baroque castles in the Czech Republic. The Castle is in the region of beautiful Vysocina in Bohemian forest lands one hour east of Prague. Today the thirteenth generation of the family Reisky de Dubnic runs the estate and forest as curators for the next generation.
Zámek Vilémov
582 83 Vilémov u Golčova Jeníkova 
Tel: +420 605 200 516
info@vilemovcastle.cz 

Subscribe to our newsletter

Vilémov Castle is a 17th-Century Baroque Estate and one of the finest examples of Baroque castles in the Czech Republic. The Castle is in the region of beautiful Vysocina in Bohemian forest lands, one hour east of Prague. Today the thirteenth generation of the family Reisky de Dubnic runs the estate and forest. With dedication, passion, and a touch of whimsey our family is curating this Baroque gem for future generations. In 2019, Vilémov Castle celebrated its 900 year anniversary 1119-2019. We are just getting started, the best is yet to come.

Copyright © 2020 by Vilémov Castle  |.  Privacy Policy.  |.  Terms and Conditions
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram